[Sca-cooks] Surviving medieval sauces?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Feb 17 11:00:20 PST 2014

Our Concordance of English Recipes: Thirteenth Through Fifteenth Centuries ( MRTS 2006) lists nearly
7 pages of sauces at roughly 28 entries per page. That would make nearly 200 English recipes indexed under sauces for just those centuries.

No one has mentioned one of our original articles on the topic.

A Mediaeval Sauce-Book is up on JSTOR and can be read either through your institutional access or by registering.
Lynn Thorndike
Speculum
Vol. 9, No. 2 (Apr., 1934), pp. 183-190
Published by: Medieval Academy of America
Article Stable URL:http://www.jstor.org/stable/2846594

Johnnae