[Sca-cooks] mid-15th c. Ottoman mustard sauce made with powdered mustard seed and yogurt

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 18 12:52:47 PST 2014

Stefan li Rous wrote:
Urtatim noted:
> And all the period mustards i've made, from the European corpus, the Arabic language
> corpus, and mid-15th c. Ottoman (one of which is made with powdered mustard seed and
> yogurt), are much thinner and more pourable than almost every Cameline i've had.
>
> This "mid-15th c. Ottoman mustard sauce made with powdered mustard seed and yogurt"
> sounds interesting and I don't remember it being discussed here previously. Could you
> please give the recipe and your redaction if you have one?

I haven't mentioned it before.

It will be in the Compleat Anachronist i'm working on, which will probably be published some time next year. It is among the 86 recipes Mehmet bin Mahmud Shirvani appended to his translation of al-Baghdadi, which he made at the request of Sultan Murad II before 1450, when he died.

Here is a paraphrase: Vinegar and Yogurt Mustard [Sirkeli ve yogurtlu hardal]. Mustard seeds are beaten [powdered], put into a cloth, and dropped into boiling water [obviously the cloth is tied or knotted closed]. The cloth of mustard is squeezed and rinsed with cold water. This can be repeated until the mustard has the amount of "sharpness" desired. Then it is beaten until foamy with strong vinegar, yogurt is added, and it is served with fatty meat.

Urtatim (that's oor-tah-TEEM)