[Sca-cooks] nutmeg leaves

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Feb 24 19:25:22 PST 2014

Guillaume posted:
<<< Aultre pouldre pour vser enpotaiges et en toutes les viandes. Prendez
canelle noix muscades et des foelles des noix muscadeset de tout ce faittes
pouldre toutensamble.

Another good powder for use in soups and in all meats. Take cinnamon,
nutmegs and nutmeg leaves, and of all this make powder all together. >>>

Oh! Wow, I wouldn't have expected this in a medieval recipe.

Why import nutmeg leaves when you can import nutmegs? The latter would seem to be much more profitable.

Maybe I'm wrong about when molasses (from sugar) showed up in Europe. I'd assumed late 17th C. for reasons similar to that above.

Stefan