[Sca-cooks] sour apple sauce

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Feb 24 21:37:16 PST 2014

>Ranvaig commented:
><<< Apples are a very common ingredient in Rumpolt.
>An apple sauce described as sour, has vinegar
>added. >>>
>
>I don't think I've ever had a "sour" apple
>sauce. I'm not sure whether I like the idea or
>not. What is the recipe/redaction?  I wonder how
>much difference it makes on the variety of apple
>used? Was it supposed to be served warm or cold?
>Again, I think all the apple sauce I've had was
>cold or room temperature, I can see where warm
>or hot apple sauce might work.
>
><<<  The only reference to sour apples "saur
>Epffel" is in the winemaking section. >>>

Sorry that I wasn't clear, this was an apple
gescharb, a kind of sweet and sour sauce to serve
with meat and other dishes.  Made with onions and
apples or sometimes almonds, that also had
vinegar, broth, and spices.  Often if not always
yellow from saffron.  Not what we think of as
"apple sauce".  Does that help?

Rumpolt also has recipes for Epffelmuß or apple
sauce, but that wasn't what I meant.

Ochsen 19. Set the tongues to (the fire) in a
water/ and let them simmer well to the place
(until well done)/ clean them out and pull the
skin off/ peel apples and onions into it/ and
chop them small. Take clear butter in a kettle/
make it warm/ put the apple and onion in it/
sweat them moderately/ and take a little flour/
ground pepper/ grated (or rubbed) saffron/ small
and large raisins in it/ Take beef broth and
vinegar/ so it becomes nicely sour/ cut the
tongue apart/ lay on a grill/ and brown it on
both sides/ put it in the gescharb sauce and let
simmer with it/ then it becomes good and well
tasting.

Ochsen 74.  Ox feet made sour in onion and apple
gescharb sauce.  Take apple and onion/ chop them
together/ and sweat in butter/ take it from the
fire/ and mix it with spices/ pepper/ ginger and
saffron/ dissolve with a beef broth/ pour vinegar
to it/ and brown flour in it/ put also small
raisins with it/ and let simmer/ and when the
feet have cooked in water/ then clean them/ and
put them in the gescharb sauce/ and let simmer
together/ then it will be well tasting.

Zugemüß 46.  Epffelmuß (Apple sauce) with
cinnamon and small raisins cooked in butter/ and
when you are ready to dress it/ then slice a weck
bread nicely long (lengthwise??)/ fry it in the
butter/ so that it is crisp/ stick it in the
applesauce/ and sprinkle it with sugar/ give it
warm on a table/ like this it is good and
welltasting.

Ranvaig