[Sca-cooks] Conger Eel

Susan Lord Williams lordhunt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 14:21:34 PST 2014

> Susan said:
> <<<Here in South America, the other night a guest from USA took a platter of fish (a 15th century recipe, which was excellent) to the kitchen and threw it out.

It was conger eel in South America which is hake in the northern hemisphere.

> When I discovered this I explained to her that although it was not to her liking my poor cleaning lady would loved it. >>>
>
> Rather rude for a guest. I might have liked it.
>
> So, what type of fish was it and what was the recipe? Since my wife doesn't like fish, I don't get much fish. Of course, given a fresh fish, especially a whole one with head and fins, I’m not really sure how to prepare it.

To me it seems that Texans only like shrimp in hot the chile sauce.

It is very difficult to try to convince north americans that it is not a worm but has excellent white meat but don’t waste your time on people who do not have a cultivated taste for fish..

> <<< A golf pro from the states arrived this week. He related that his colleagues will not eat the scrambled eggs offered at the buffet breakfast in his hotel. I have no clue what could be wrong with scrambled eggs. Perhaps you can enlighten me. >>>
>
> Many buffet scrambled eggs suffer from being kept after cooking too long and end up being rubbery. Not inedible, but if I'm paying for it, I expect something better.  In an institutional setting, they may not even be made from fresh eggs, but from some kind of preprocessed egg mixture out of a container.

Opps I missed that. No, that is outrageous - eggs here come out of an egg shell in this country. I have never seen them come out of a   container. That is insane!

> <<< Recently American guests critized breakfast buffets in hotels in this country because soft boiled eggs were not offered but chocolate kuchen was. >>>
>
> What is “chocolate kuchen"?

Kuchen is German for cake so we are looking at a rich chocolate cake which has too much sugar for America teste buds at breakfast time. Chileans have a lot of German taste buds for their heritage and love it.

> I like meat and potatoes. But I will try other things. However, it will take extra effort to get me to eat green, squishy things or things with unusual textures.

Stefan, I don’t know where you are coming from with this last sentence about eating greens - . As far as I can see this subject only has to deal with fish, shrimp, eggs and chocolate cake. The latter not being period for us. , ,