[Sca-cooks] lenses in general

Susan Lord Williams lordhunt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 11:45:10 PDT 2014

I have contacted my colleague Joe Snow, the authority of la Celestina (a 14th century Spanish tale published in the 16th century) asking for any references he might have concerning this subject. He has replied that he has no references to lenses of any type during la Celestina’s era. He suggests that Spanish eyeglasses did not begin until the era of Quevado, 1580-1645, during which pictorial evidence is obvious.

I think I am going to consult with the Count of Trebbi to see what Italian references he has as an art history historian - particularly in italian art. - It is curious. While Quevado wore spectacles in the same era as Miguelanglo, his paintings do not show subjects using lenses and he did have room for that in the Sistine chapel no less!

I believe I remember a painting from Florence with a woman with a magnifying glass or maybe that was in the Prado en Madrid. I think it was 16th century. I do not think it was Carrvaggio’s but he did work with optical projections.

Although many royalty and aristocrats knew how to read and write, it was not necessary as noble families maintained scribes, which obscures dependence on spectacles if they were necessary for a given individual.