[Sca-cooks] 1389 list from Duke of Burgundy's feast

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu Mar 20 03:09:46 PDT 2014

On 3/19/2014 11:42 PM, JIMCHEVAL at aol.com wrote:
> It seems that nobody has published the  "comptes de Josset de Halles",
> which are held in departmental archives, but  another work gives this extract
> from 1389 for a meal from the Dukes of Burgundy:
>
> "hens in saffron, pheasants in gold power, braised guinea hens, preserved
> anise and garlic [!] served as comfits, ground barley, spinach in sugar,
> *rousset* [wheat-rye bread?], green wheat, wafers, pots of green ginger, apple
>   verjuice with clove, nutmeg?, hypocras, spice wine and Gascony claret,
> served in  gold hanaps."

Just as a note- a 'hanap' is a very large goblet (perhaps a 'gob' ;-)
), made of gold or silver, often ornamented with gems. Not surprised
that the Duke of Burgundy had one, as he was one of the richest men on
the Continent. Oh- and garlic is not that unusual. It shows up in
earlier texts. And nutmeg appears in ypocras recipes. I don't know what
'rousset' is though. Maybe Bear or Eduardo know?

Liutgard
--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our
abilities." -Albus Dumbledore ~~~Follow my Queenly perambulations at: