[Sca-cooks] Metal Poisoning from the fork

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sat May 10 19:19:04 PDT 2014

Here is the passage directly from  Damian:

http://books.google.com/books?id=9smLdu9BvK0C&lpg=PA60&dq=inauthor%3A%22pete
r%20damian%22%20fork&pg=PA60#v=onepage&q&f=false

Letters,  Volume 3
By Saint Peter Damian

And more about him:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Damian

These books make the same claim but also without documentation:
http://books.google.com/books?id=SxGm5Z4TvU0C&lpg=PT189&dq=eating%20with%20f
orks%20forbidden%20Catholic%20Church&pg=PT190#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=bcaXzXPP8ooC&lpg=PA43&dq=eating%20with%20fo
rks%20forbidden%20Catholic%20Church&pg=PA43#v=onepage&q&f=false

A number imply that it is based on Damian's account - which does not
include anything like "“God in his wisdom has provided man with natural
forks-his fingers" and at any rate would not qualify as "The Church's opinion".  The
fact that I don't see the latter quote before 1987 makes me think  one
misreading has relatively recently been picked up by others.

The fact that they refer to the relatively well-known Damian as "some
priest" (etc) does not speak well for their scholarship either.

Jim Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Beyond Apicius (2): recipes  from other Roman  sources
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/05/beyond-apicius-2-recipes-from-other.htm

In  a message dated 5/10/2014 3:54:43 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,