[Sca-cooks] Metal Poisoning from the fork

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Wed May 14 10:31:18 PDT 2014

Sorry, I missed this.

Spoons were made with whatever a particular  person could afford. When St.
Remy left spoons engraved with his own name in his  will, we can be pretty
sure these were made of metal (probably silver).

I have no doubt many spoons were made of wood. Boxwood? I've never seen
that written anywhere. May I ask the source for that?

If you could make a spoon of wood, you could of course make a fork as well.
 Wooden forks are hardly unusual:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wooden+fork&num=100&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=
X&ei=0aVzU_WbIJeeyATOtYLYCA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1280&bih=856

It's important too to realize that a prohibition didn't have to exist in
the Bible to apply. I've never seen a Biblical source for prohibitions of
eating  horse or hare nor did Pope Zachary cite any when he forbade eating both:

http://books.google.com/books?id=V3MKAAAAIAAJ&dq=Pope%20Zachary%20horse%20ha
re&pg=PA711#v=onepage&q&f=false

He simply didn't like the idea. Strange, since hare was actually a pretty
standard food and is explicitly allowed by the Penitential texts:

http://books.google.com/books?id=SX5bAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=wassers
chleben&hl=en&sa=X&ei=aKZzU4PnI42vyAS3rIDgCg&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=snippet&q=com
edere&f=false

These are also the most likely place to find any ban on eating in any way,
but include nothing like the stricture on eating organic foods with metal
implements mentioned.

But overall it's pretty hard to follow up on this idea without actually
having a documented source for it (documented that is beyond a modern food
writer's claims).

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

Beyond Apicius (2):  recipes from other Roman sources
_http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/05/beyond-apicius-2-recipes-from-other.ht
ml_
(http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/04/beyond-wine-water-and-beer-what-else.html)

In a message dated 5/13/2014 5:23:36 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,