[Sca-cooks] Metal Poisoning from the fork

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Wed May 14 11:48:47 PDT 2014

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 1:31 PM, <JIMCHEVAL at aol.com> wrote:

> It's important too to realize that a prohibition didn't have to exist in
> the Bible to apply. I've never seen a Biblical source for prohibitions of
> eating  horse or hare nor did Pope Zachary cite any when he forbade eating
> both:

The Bible clearly defines the traits of clean (kosher) and unclean (treif)
animals. Leviticus 11:3 says, "Any animal that has a cloven hoof that is
completely split into double hooves, and which brings up its cud that one
you may eat."  The next few verses gives examples of animals that have one
trait but not the other.  The hare chews its cud, but does not have a
cloven hoof.  The pig has a cloven hoof, but does not chew its cud. The
horse is not discussed in the verses about kosher animals, but as it does
not have a cloven hoof *and* does not chew its cud, its status is clear.
 These rules, with other examples, are repeated in Deuteronomy 14.

Brighid ni Chiarain