[Sca-cooks] Help with Italian word - can't find translation.

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Sat Nov 15 19:51:59 PST 2014

Message: 5
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 23:15:23 -0800
From: Rebecca Friedman <rebeccaanne3 at gmail.com>
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Help with Italian word - can't find translation.

Does anyone have any idea what the word "tengato" might mean? It's from Due
Libre di Cucina, theoretically in Italian, practically in an Italian dialect
with some Latin sprinkled in, and the context is "Tolli lo tengato de
qualunca tu voy, et tolli agmandole et ?en?auro et ?ennamo, la melgliore che
tu poy avere, et garofani alquanti et nuci moscate et uno poco de saffarano,
et queste cose fa bene mestecare et pistale..." which I translate as "take
the tengato of whatever you want, and take almonds and ginger and cinnamon,
the best that you can have, and spice some with cloves and nutmeg and a
little saffron, and mix these things well, and grind them..." It's to make a
sauce. I've consulted all my Italian dictionaries, tried spelling
variations, and tried searching google books for the word in context, and
what I've found is that "tengato" is occasionally a past participle of the
verb "tenere", which means "to hold", which is only so helpful. Anyone have
an idea what might be going on here?

Thanks!
Rebecca

It rings a bell, but I can't place it off the top of my head. A little more
checking shows that tengere (or tingere) means to dye or colour. Not sure if
this helps.

Claire/Angharad

---