[Sca-cooks] Holiday

Chef Christy chefchristy at kingstaste.com
Thu Nov 27 20:02:43 PST 2014

Christianna said:
<<< I just experimented with my first steamed pudding a la Mrs. Cratchitt,
and it is wonderful!  I have to wait to make the hard sauce until I get to
my TDay destination >>>

Stephen asks:
Steamed puddings are post-period, Georgian, right? Do most steamed puddings
use a hard sauce, or is that the most traditional?

Mostly post medieval period, although there are certainly pudding type foods
in period, the blancmange for example could be considered a pudding.  I am
aiming for the one described in A Christmas Carol, although I made this one
in a mold and not in a pudding cloth.  I have the cloth, but I have yet to
try pouring a wet batter into a square cloth and tying it up, suspended in a
pot full of steaming water to cook.  That's next I think.  This one was
fantastic, and we got lots of pics. I'll be blogging about it soon, and
perhaps making another one next week for a class on the History of Christmas
Foods.

<<< A windfall case of apples has contributed to a large pan of baked apples
in the oven right now. >>>

Did you just back the apples, or did you put other things in/on them?

I cored them and stuffed them with a mixture of raisins and dried
cranberries, oatmeal, honey, a poudre douce mixture and some apple cider.  I
just ate one that came home with me.  Pretty yummy :)

<<< there is a large turkey in the fridge that will
be injected and spatchcocked (even I think that sounds dirty - and I know
I'm using perfectly appropriate cooking terminology ;) ) that will get
cooked up sometime over the weekend. >>>

Okay, what does it mean?

For some reason the technique of 'spatchcocking' a bird has been all the
rage this season, and I've gotten several requests to teach the process.  It
means to bone the bird in the middle, removing just the rib cage and keel
bone, leaving the wing and leg bones, then splaying the bird open
(butterflying).  It allows for more even cooking and a shorter cooking time.

Stefan
We arrived too late at my MoLs. So I guess I will be eating Bacon and
Bluecheese Dip and Bluecheese biscuits by myself in the next few days.

Their loss, I'm sure if you made them they were wonderful.
Allow me to take this opportunity to again thank you Stephen, for all the
work you do on the Florilegium maintaining what I have come to depend on as
a fantastic resource.  I am grateful for that service, and happy to know
you.
Christianna

-----
No virus found in this message.