[Sca-cooks] What is the difference between a pie and a tart?

Carol Smith eskesmith at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 28 16:52:34 PST 2014

My pumpkin pie recipe never had a top crust, nor did my mother's, or the tart.  The tart did, however, have vanilla, and may have had a less strong spice mixture.  (It was a completely modern recipe, and I like a spicy pumpkin pie.  This wasn't it.  It was OK, just not great.)  The crust was not, for me, a normal pie crust (flour, butter, cold water, salt); it had brown sugar and an egg in addition.  The crust was pretty good.  In fact, I'll probably try a variant of it the next time I attempt canisones, as it is sweet, and my usual crust is not, which makes this crust more "wafer-like", which is what the canisone recipe calls for.   Apparently it either resembles ravioli (whatever ravioli looked like back in the day) or was rolled into thin wafers and cut to finger length?

As to the difference between a pie and a tart, I always thought of a tart as much smaller overall, although the recipe called for a 9 inch tart shell (and the filling was too much for the shell as specified, though it measured 9.5" at the diameter).   Today, the difference seems to be that a tart is not as high as a pie is, but I don't really see much difference otherwise.  And those who know more than I should feel free  to continue my education, if I'm wrong.

And does anyone have a recipe for a thin crunchy sweet wafer without dairy products which may be rolled or cooked in a wafer iron?

Regards,
B.