[Sca-cooks] What is the difference between a pie and a tart?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Nov 28 18:18:34 PST 2014

Tarts are filled pastry dough without a top.  Pies have a slightly broader
definition being either open or completely sealed in dough.  Thus a tart may
be a pie, but a pie might not be a tart.  However, the words tend to be used
synonymously.
In terms of word origin, tart appears to be the older in English entering
Old English from Old High German, while pie seems to come into Middle
English from Latin, possibly via French.  I don't have my OED available to
do a more thorough check.

The argument is similar to the question of precisely what is krapfen, which
varies regionally in Germany.

Bear

Brekke commented:
<<< pumpkin tart (new this year, in lieu of pumpkin pie) >>>

Okay, what do you see as the difference between a pie and a tart? Brekke,
why wasn’t the tart as good as a pie?  Did you vary the filling?

I’ve struggled with this for years in trying to figure out whether to put
various messages in the tart-msg file or one of the pie-msg files. I thought
pies had top crusts, but tarts did not. However, this would mean than all
those things called pumpkin pies in the stores and restaurants are actually
pumpkin tarts, not pumpkin pies.

Perhaps I should just merge both together, but split them out by filling
types.

Thanks,
  Stefan