[Sca-cooks] crunchy sweet wafers

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Nov 29 06:27:58 PST 2014

Fats in the batter make the end product softer.  Sugar produces a more rigid
product and caramelizes the surface.

Hot off the iron, the wafers are soft and can be shaped.  It's how waffle
cones are made.

Bear

B. (Brekke?) said:
<<< And does anyone have a recipe for a thin crunchy sweet wafer without
dairy products which may be rolled or cooked in a wafer iron? >>>

Only some of the recipes in this Florilegium file use milk. A few of the
others say butter or margarine. My main problem to getting thin, crunchy
wafers seems to be the amount of sugar they have.

I’ve always used a pizzele iron. I’m not sure how they would work rolled. I
tend to make them thinner as a batter, so they can be poured onto the iron.
I assume you are saying rolled and then baked on a flatiron? Or do you mean
rolled and then put into a wafer or puzzle/// stupid spelling auto-corrector
/// pizzelle iron?
wafers-msg 9/ 4/11 Period savory and sweet wafers. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/wafers-msg.html

If you wish, I can look up which recipes I’ve had the best luck with.

Stefan