[Sca-cooks] Holiday

Jim and Andi jimandandi at cox.net
Sun Nov 30 20:04:03 PST 2014

We went to the in-laws' home for dinner. My contribution was the baking. I
made a cherry-vanilla pie, a pecan pie, two sweet potato pies, and a large
pan of sweet potato rolls with fresh rosemary. The sweet potatoes and
rosemary came from my garden and the lard for the pie crusts was rendered by
a friend of mine from a pig from a local farm (I traded tangerines from our
trees for the lard- great trade). The sweet potato pies were sweetened with
local cane syrup and I use cane syrup instead of corn syrup in the pecan
pie. This was my first time making a 1/2 lard and 1/2 butter pie crust with
an egg added and I will never make another kind. The crusts turned out
incredibly tender, rich, and flaky.

Happy Leftover Day, everyone! Pie for breakfast!

Madhavi