[Sca-cooks] Ale with soup consistency

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sun Jul 19 01:39:12 PDT 2015

It may simply be based on extrapolation.I'bve been looking into medieval German beers, and the evidence we have indicates that the earlier we go, the more malt per tun is used. Traded beers appear to have been hugely strong and rich (I talked to a brewer about a sixteenth-century version at the low end of the scale, and he said it would likely come out around 8-10%, sweet and very heavy). If you project that backwards, it is quite plausible that early ales would have been very thick.
Of course there is also the question of filtration. I have read a few references to poorly strained or unstrained ale (never bothered to check the source since it was all about rural England). Other cultures routinely do not strain their brews. But here, I have no documentation.

Best
Giano