[Sca-cooks] Ale with soup consistency

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sun Jul 19 10:11:19 PDT 2015

The Sumerians strained their better beer. Otherwise, many drank it through
a straw (sometimes literally, sometimes of metal) to get past a soup of
impurities on top.

Tacitus' comment on beer being like the Roman wine is only I think meant to
 point out that it was an alcoholic drink, not anything precise about the
quality. This was roughly the equivalent of seeing a rhinoceros and, lacking
any  other point of comparison, saying it looked like a horse with a horn -
which  resulted of course in the invention of a very different animal.

As it is, it is curious that Tacitus seemed unaware of the drink, since
Roman soldiers were drinking it in Britain just then and Rome had long ruled
Egypt, where it actually taxed the beer. But this fitful ignorance on the
part  of Latin speakers endured into the early Middle Ages and probably speaks
more to  the uncertainty of the transmission of ideas than anything else.

http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/04/stumbling-through-history-towards-beer.
html

Otherwise, I would think the go-to guy for beer history is Martyn Cornell,
whose blog is here:
http://zythophile.co.uk/

If you  contact him though just be aware that he runs his mail through a
site-hosting  service which tries to scare you into signing up before assuring
you your mail  will get through. I did so and have been unsubscribing from
their spam ever  since.

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

FRENCH BREAD HISTORY:  Late medieval bread
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2015/06/french-bread-history-late-medieval-brea
d.html

In a message dated 7/19/2015 1:39:17 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,