[Sca-cooks] Outlands Crown Tournament Feast - What I'm planning...

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 15:56:30 PDT 2015

I'm sorry?  Donkey meat?  I am confused. (Reference to something Stefan
said in the previous thread)

Stefan made a comment that it had been a while since there was a feast
discussion here so, even though the meal is set (for the most part) I offer
the following:

I am cooking the feast for Outlands Crown Tournament in August.
Reservations are limited to 100 plus head table.  Whoever has reserved by
August 1 is in.  No seats will be available at gate.
I was told to make a Pelican Feast and not a Laurel Feast.  My
understanding as to what that meant was I was to make it good and plentiful
but it did not have to be a documentable feast. Under that direction I have
the following:

Dried fruit and nuts will be on the table since feast has already been
pushed back from an original schedule of 5:00pm to 6:30pm I have to be
ready for it to be even later and people will be famished.

First course:

Lentil spinach stew - vegan**.  I will have mini meatballs (beef or
turkey??) on the side for those who cannot be without meat for even one
course.

Second course:

Marinated chicken - this is what people who know me would call "fireman's
chicken" - not because it is spicy but because the marinade I will use is
what the local firefighters used when they did fund raisers of barbeque
chicken.  Until I was an adult I never understood the bottles of BBQ sauce
in the grocery store because this is the only thing I knew as BBQ.  It is a
vinegar based marinade  If you want the recipe see:
http://cornell-classic.univcomm.cornell.edu/search/?id=132&tab=facts
<http://cornell-classic.univcomm.cornell.edu/search/?id=132&tab=facts.> -
this is gluten free and good for anyone with an aversion to beef, bacon,
red wine, or mushrooms.

Boeuf Bourguignon (a la Julia Child) - Yes I will use her recipe as much as
possible.

Rice - plain white rice - gluten free and vegan.  I thought about adding
another grain but again - decided to keep it simple.

Vegetables - whatever is in season and looks good.  Any sauces will be on
the side.  People can adjust to their own humour (hey, it's a period thing
- see, I'm trying).  I have tried armored turnips several times but with
little success so I think I'll keep it simple.  Since the beef already has
carrots, onions, and mushrooms we'll see what else I'll add.

Salads - I may add some salads - not just a green salad but maybe a
shredded cabbage or carrot one especially because we can expect it to be a
hot day.

Third course:

small cakes and cookies.  Some will be gluten free.  Individual tarts,
macarons, meringues.etc.

The only drink option will be water unless someone begs for lemonade.  This
is a church so it is alcohol free except for the beef.

Even though there will be rice there will also be bread.  My thought was to
cook a flat bread and not full loaves.  I could have all the dough ready to
go and then someone just needs to roll it and bake it on a griddle.

** I tend to consider vegetarians and gluten free.  If someone has more of
an issue than that they need to let me know or they are on their own.

I understand people here will tell me I could still make this period and
documentable but our Baronesses did not want that and it is their wish that
it just be good and plentiful and be able to sit to wait for Their
Majesties, Their Heirs and the rest of the populace.  Everything on this
menu can be ready and sit.

Respectfully submitted.

Shoshanah