[Sca-cooks] stockfish recipes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Sep 9 21:01:36 PDT 2015

As a general definition, stockfish is any whitefish, although usually cod,
that is preserved by air drying and ferments during the process.  Clipfish
is white fish that is chemically preserved by brining (and does not ferment)
before being air dried.  Saltfish (more commonly called salt cod) is fish
preserved and dried in salt.  Smokefish (smoked fish) is (usually) brined or
salted fish that is cold smoked (which does not coagulate the proteins and
requires refrigeration after smoking) and hot smoked which cooks the fish
and preserves it.

Bear

Unfortunately when I started this file, I thought “stockfish” was any
preserved fish and not just dried fish or dried fish of a specific type, so
there are both smoked and dried fish recipes in there. (So, what is the best
definition of ‘stockfish’?)  When I have a better feel for the definition,
and I have the time, I will go through and edit this file.

Stefan