[Sca-cooks] Anything going on ?

Kathleen Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Thu Aug 25 08:59:12 PDT 2016

> Or is August really slow?
>
> Johnnae

Way busy at UNM in August as always with the new crop of students coming in, but there are some things on the back burner.helping with Coronation Lunch in November, and commandeering the Bake Sale for the al-Barran Toys for Tots event.  The al-Barran Cooks Group and other bakers assist with the goodies and I sort of herd the cats.  I believe this is the "4th (or 5th) Annual Bake Sale".   We raise a good bit of money for the Marines to fill in the holes as they need to.  My initial offer of "a little bake sale for money for batteries" turned into a wonderful monster.

Fireball II is up and running, and I am teaching myself how to smoke meats.  So far, has been a small pork roast, which was wonderful, and some ribs, which were a bit over-smoky for my taste.  My goal is to make some bacon from scratch to use in my Bacon and Greens soup I am planning for Coronation lunch.  Applewood smoked, of course.

 I still want to do a 'swan song' Early Irish feast, but need the right venue and volume of people.  My days of feeding 350 people seem to be falling into the mists. ;)

Oh yes, and the Shamrock Foods Expo show is coming to Albuquerque, and that is always fun.  New products, samples at vendors, food service classes, celebrity chef (minor arcana except for Rick Bayless one year) demos and lectures.  And I am not even in the food service business.  You see everyone from fancy hotels to taco trucks there.   One class I want to take is Millenials - Your Future Workforce.   And it's all free, even parking.  I believe they have them in AZ, TX, CO and CA as well.

Cailte