[Sca-cooks] Bread Puzzles

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Feb 1 06:07:53 PST 2016

It's the section entitled, "L'essai du pain blanc."

Since commercial bakers were guild members who did not discuss their
"mysteries" with the public, there is always a question of the accuracy of
the observer.  In this case, said observer appears to be accurately the
weights of the ingredients in a standard measure.  That being the case, only
the ratios matter.

As bread was the most regulated product in Europe with guilds being
chartered by the crowns of various countries, baking was done in the
national standard where ever one existed.  Which is why I am certain that
the Livre de Paris is the measure being used rather than any local measure.

Bear