[Sca-cooks] I Tried a Medieval Diet, and also watered wine

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 21:31:36 PDT 2016

Ana said:
<<< Check this out on Atlas Obscura:
http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/i-tried-a-medieval-diet-and-i-didnt-even-get-that-drunk

Cool but is it good? >>>

Well, I spotted several errors. Including the idea that the only bean in medieval Europe was the fave bean.

While the New World bean varieties ended up replacing many of the European beans, there were beans that were replaced. In addition, there are other beans that were native to Europe other than fava beens which weren’t replaced. (garbanzo, black-eyed peas, others)

This article also brings up a question I’ve wondered about.

Beer was safer than water because you had to boil the water to make the beer, which killed a lot of the possible nasties.

But how is watering wine safe?  Is the alcoholic level of wine really high enough to kill off the same possible nasties?

Like small beer, watered wine might prevent you from getting drunk, but would it be safe to drink?

Thanks,
   Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com