[Sca-cooks] bacon, lardo etc

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Nov 12 07:47:38 PST 2016

Guanicale is cured hog jowl.  Lardo is cured fatback.  Cured pork belly is
just what it says.  These are prepared with salt and blends of various
spices and generally air cured.  Salt pork has a higher salt concentration
(think salt preserved) and is without spices or curing.

Both Americans and Canadians generally use the term bacon to refer to
"streaky bacon," the stuff made from cured, smoked pork belly.  Where we
refer to bacon cured pork loin as Canadian bacon, Canadians are likely to
refer to it as "back bacon."

Bear

<<< Also, for him, bacon could mean
guanciale, lardo, cured pork belly, or any of a number of bacon+fat cured
preparations.  For us, sliced cured smoked pork belly (I.e. American bacon)
is most accessible)>>>

So what are the definitions of these three+ items? We’ve already discussed
that medieval ”bacon” is most likely not what Americans call bacon and may
be different from what the Canadians consider bacon.

Stefan