[Sca-cooks] Chinese Roast Goose / Duck

Alec Story avs38 at cornell.edu
Sun Nov 13 19:49:25 PST 2016

I translated this recipe with a friend of mine who had an extra roast duck
thawing and wanted to do something with it.  I thought I'd share.

Use goose or duck breast meat. If whole, use a hammer to shatter the bones.
Take up ginger, pepper [sichuan or black, unclear], sourpeel tangerine [*Citrus
reticulata*] peel, scallion, barbarian [western] celery, rocambole [or
sandleeks, unclear], salt, and fermented beans. Cut them and join them, and
then smear it over the meat. Roast it whole on a skewer. Cleave off the
breast meat, and take the bones, and lay it out like you had made common
boiled duck.

The original:
用鵝、鴨臆肉。如渾,椎令骨碎。與薑、椒、橘皮、蔥、胡芹、小蒜、鹽、豉,切,和,塗肉,渾炙之。斫取臆肉,去骨,奠如白煮之者。

This recipe is from Qimin Yaoshu
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qimin_Yaoshu>, a 544 CE farm manual from
northwest China.

She was lacking some of the ingredients and made some daring substitutions,
but this sounds like  a pretty reasonable recipe to me.  The sour orange
peel is used in traditional Beijing Duck preparation today.

--
Þórfinnr Hróðgeirsson