[Sca-cooks] Affording a period feast

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Tue Sep 20 13:01:33 PDT 2016

The sheer number of dishes that would be required for a meal served to landed nobility (which, at any SCA event, is present) to count as a feast would break the bank - not necessarily even in terms of ingredient cost, if we are a bit imaginative, but in terms of kitchen equipment and labour. When we do a feast here, we have three or four courses, usually a total of 6-8 meat or fish dishes, with side dishes, sauces and other condiments extra. This is served in the royal presence. By all the records I have seen, we are off by about an order of magnitude for a royal feast (though it is, oddly enough, roughly right for the daily meat day meal served to the Count Palatine and his retainers in the late fifteenth century). Even counts and knights would not have neen content with so few dishes to mark a special opccasion. The number is about right for the middling level of feast in many urban sumptuary laws.

I wouldn't have a problem with serving a period bourgeois feast, but we have all those kings and dukes and counts around.