[Sca-cooks] Affording a period feast

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 13:50:30 PDT 2016

A “period” feast doesn’t have to cost any more than a non-period feast, but it is likely to, for many reasons.

I don’t consider going to a fast-food place a “feast”. I was looking at enjoying a non-period feast at one of the local seafood restaurants in Austin for my recent birthday and decided we really couldn’t afford $40 or more, each, so I went for Cajun instead for half of that.

So part of the problem is whether you are just providing food or a feast. Some people going to SCA feasts are just looking for food. Others want a (period) feast.

But I see little reason that a period feast has to cost more than a non-period feast for an equivalent level of food quality, just as in modern life.

In the SCA, the really period feasts tend to up their server to feaster ratios, create special effects etc. and go for more exotic foods or more of them. These do cost more money.

I have tried to post some good, reasonably priced period feasts in the FEAST-REVIEWS section of the Florilegium. In part, to let people see what can be done for reasonable amounts of money.

If you do have more than the usual amount of resources (including money), here is a very good example:
Perf-P-Feast-msg (59K) 12/22/14 "Perfectly Period Feast" cooked by Mistress Crystal of the Westermark. A medieval feast, with atmosphere, 'done right’.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEAST-REVIEWS/Perf-P-Feast-msg.html

Here is an example of how to cut some corners, yet still produce a period feast.
Hlvg-Fst-Csts-art (20K) 2/ 8/11 "Rob Peter to feed Paul: halving feast costs” by Alizaundre, Demoiselle de Brebeuf, C.O.L.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Hlvg-Fst-Csts-art.html

However, also remember that fancy, good food was only part of a medieval feast:
Med-Fsts-CPHP-art (33K) 12/26/10 "Medieval Feasts - culinary creativity, pageantry, honour and prestige" by Lady Dominica de Zaragoza.

Medievl-Feasts-art (16K) 2/24/05 "The Medieval Feast - An Event, Not Food” by Mistress Willow de Wisp.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris