[Sca-cooks] Unicode and the list and the Florilegium

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 13:41:55 PDT 2017

Bear replied to me with:
<<< That said, the problem you are having is most probably in the Unicode
translation tables on your computer.  If you want to check, pull up
http://lists.ansteorra.org/pipermail/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org/2017-September/001964.html
.  That is a message from Julia with the word n?dm?z about half way down the
text.  If the word shows up without "?" then it is most likely a problem
with the translation tables in the digest software. >>>

Thanks for the checking method. I hadn't tried to dig that deeply.

And yes, I can read her message that way perfectly fine. No question marks. Which is what I suspected. The problem is in the digestifier. Which likely is rather old and I have no idea where it came from.

If the list volume stays low, I'll just have to change back to regular email.

I was aware that it was likely to be encoding rather than character set, but was trying to not get too technical. I actually have three different unicode selections in Word, Unicode 7.0, Unicode 7.0 (Little-Endian) and Unicode 7.0 (UTF-8). That last is what I'm using for the text files in the Florilegium when I create them.

But if the input I get has multiple characters changed to question marks, then using Unicode at that time, doesn't help.

I've still got some problems somewhere in the Florilegium site encoding, but I'm gradually switching that to Unicode as I redo things. I'm moving the site to a new provider, but trying to remove/change the frames in the HTML code. All data files are transferred, but I'm having HTML coding problems. I've removed all my frame workarounds, but still anything I click on my main index page, just keeps bringing up the main index page. Anyone that knows HTML 5 and wants to help me would be appreciated. Apparently I'm not as good as I thought.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris