[Sca-cooks] halloo the list??

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Jan 8 11:58:37 PST 2019

I'm still in the deciding process as to which recipes to use.  I hit the
limits of the site kitchen at an overly ambitious feast last October and I
am trying to shape a menu that will fit the kitchen and the limited skills
of my help.  Since this is a feast proposal, the actual feast may never come
off, but I'll be testing recipes.  I'm thinking of two main courses, one of
beef, the other chicken and I want to use the cabbage salad with the oil and
vinegar dressing (essentially Herman's coleslaw).

I'm certainly going to read over your translations and if you think any of
my work can help you please help yourself to it.

For a number of years, I have been planning feasts assigned to a specific
place and time using translations or transcriptions of contemporary sources.
My last feast was a walk through period cookery, Andalusian 13th Century,
French 14th, Italian 15th and German 16th.  The feast came off adequately,
but I lost control of the flow and had to improvise.  One of the ovens at
the site is unusable for most things (temperature control issues) and much
of the kitchen help are budding geniuses that are unskilled in the practical
and na�fs at commonplace solutions.  Good people, but they need training
and/or a director and the project I undertook was too large for me to
provide the oversight continuously.  Definite error on my part.  There were
some other problems not of my making that I didn't handle adequately.

This time around, I'm looking for greater control of all aspects of the
feast, by reducing the number of dishes and focusing on the quality of the
experience.

Bear

Bear,

I'm still working on a hopefully-will-become-a-Compleat-Anachronist
translation and index of the two (much) shorter recipe collections
that come from the same basic "school" as the Transylvanian cookbook.
I'd love to know which recipes you're working on!

(My first pass translations and glossary are up on Medieval Cookery:
http://medievalcookery.com/etexts.html?Hungary)

(I Don't Do Facebook, and I hate how nowadays, if it's not there, it
doesn't exist.)

Julia
/\ /\