[Sca-cooks] Kalács

Joel Lord jpl at ilk.org
Wed Jan 16 05:22:20 PST 2019

For reasons that have never been made public that I am aware of, mailman
2.x never fully adopted utf-8 for English lists.  If our host were to
want to fix this for us, the easy answer is that he add:

add_language('en', 'English (USA)', 'utf-8', 'ltr')

to his mm_cfg.py file in the ${mailman_base}/Mailman/ directory.

Of course, I have no idea if our host is on this list...

- Joel Messerer
East Kingdom Deputy Webminister for Services
... including many, many, many mailman mailing lists.

On 1/16/2019 12:42 AM, Alec Story wrote:
> There's clearly something in this list's software that is not doing Unicode
> correctly.  Much to my chagrin as a sinologist...
>
> - Þorfinnr
>
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2019, 12:38 AM Julia Szent-Gyorgyi <jpmiaou at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Stefan li Rous wrote:
>>> I'm not sure how this "Kal�cs" comes through to you ...
>>> What font did you originally write this in? I thought that unicode was
>> supposed to solve this,
>>> but I don't see a way to specify unicode anywhere in my Safari browser.
>>
>> Unicode is a character encoding, not a font. The "text encoding" menu
>> option is grayed out in Firefox, so I also see the double-dotted i,
>> upside-down question mark, and fraction, but I know the language and
>> can mentally substitute the a-acute that the string of gobbledygook is
>> supposed to be: kalács. (Using the College of Heralds' "Da'ud
>> notation": kal{a'}cs.)
>>
>> (I think the gibberish is a result of all software nowadays believing
>> that it is smarter than its users.)
>>
>> Julia
>> /\ /\
>>> *.*<

Joel Lord
Web Administrator, Alpha Psi Omega Grand Cast
etc... etc... etc...