SC - Charters

Leslie Miller Miller at pp.okstate.edu
Mon Aug 2 15:08:56 PDT 1999

> Okay, so the question on the Ansteorra list is do we or do we not want to
> move towards having our award charters be more historically accurate than
> what we are doing now.  Ches suggested a longer discussion might held
> here, so I thought I'd jump in and ask the question.

Hmmmm, let's see if I'm understanding the conversations correctly.
It has been stated categorically that period charters (is that the
correct term? Awards....?) would not be illuminated.

I'm picturing my diploma with a lengthy bit of text, or something
similar.

I'm fine going that route if the general consensus is that we should
do things more period... heck, I'm much more of a calligrapher
anyway.

However, I have to say that I enjoy the fancy bits of artwork on my
wall as part of an SCA tradition, even if they aren't the best
reflection of a period document.  They're pretty.  So, maybe that
sounds trite, but they're pretty, and I personally find value in pretty
things.

Charter painting did not lead me to do calligraphy and illumination.
What it *did* do was lead me to do calligraphy and illumination in a
more period fashion.  Guache paint was quite the discovery for me,
(thank you, Margaret Pearce) when I had been using normal
watercolors (or, yes, I confesss, in the very beginning, magic
markers) without much success.   It was so much fun that I
actually started looking at books to see what period pieces really
looked like, so I could try to reproduce the effects.  Charter painting
enabled me to learn the medium.

I can't begin to describe the thrill I get when I look at a new book
and find a page that has the original upon which one of our charters
is based... Wow!  For me, they serve as an educational tool, not
only for myself, but for everyone who comes over to paint charters
at my house.  Honestly, I don't think they've gotten tired of me
shoving books at them and saying, "See, this is how the original
looked!"

I don't think our current system is without its own virtues.  Frankly,
I like having charter painting parties at my house, and it does open
up a venue for participation in scribal arts that many people would
not take advantage of otherwise.

As for the suggestion of doing charters with illumination, only doing
them all by hand, so that every award is original:   I can only say....
YIKES!  I think that as a kingdom we would either have to
dramatically increase the number of active scribes, or dramatically
decrease the number of awards being given out.  Probably a bit of
both.  As things work now... it ain't gonna happen.  I think the few
active scribes in the kingdom would burn out faster than lit
gunpowder.

Gunhilda