SC - Charters

Donald Riney dariusobells at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 3 07:37:58 PDT 1999

OK my turn. I have been following this thread pretty well though I missed
the opening post, here is a bit of a court heralds perspective. The printed
charters have gone through a couple levels of approval by the time any one
receives a particular piece of work, this ensures not only a frameable
pretty, with period decoration, but also the standard text in a readable
presentation. Even though many court heralds know most of the text, very few
know all of them. So we actually _read_ the scrolls in court.

I do have Foyrernel Pursuivant (one of the two heralds in the kingdom that
maintains the OP) checking to find out what the average # of scrolls given
per reign has been over the past couple of years. Just as a reference to the
volume we are discussing.

Now I believe our charters have been very beneficial. We do not burn out
Scribes and Illuminators like cheap light bulbs around here. Yes we in many
cases are producing the same thing again and again, but that is period.
Scriptoriums in period would produce x number of indulgences by order of the
priest. Devices for drawing and tracing multiple copies were used, and then
in some cases people did some fill work with a brush. In period and today,
painters and artist are and were known to have their students do fill work
on their works of art.

No one has ever said that a person _can't_ do originals for presentation in
court. I have seen charters presented in court where the artist, ask that
they be able to do this scroll at the time of the award recommendation. By
not forcing the issue, we have given our artist time to mature like fine
wine, so that though they have not spent a lifetime perfecting these and
only these arts, they are with a high degree of skill reproducing the style
and beauty of period illumination.

Darius of the Bells
Illuminator