[Scriptoris] Steppes Warlord Scribal Activities

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 21:21:17 PDT 2003

Annais wrote:

> Rosalia di Belavita-Mistress of the Pelican (well deserved! Her
> scroll text went on and on and on-it's about 275 words... I counted!)

Hah.  You ain't seen nothing.  That one was short.  You should see the
15th century Creation of an Earl letters patent in Hubert Hall's
*Formula Book of English Documents* volume 1.  It was the basis for
Robin's Laurel letters patent, much to Sara's dismay.

There's a reason that oaths, which were said aloud, were short, and
document texts, which were *not ever* read aloud, were long.  (The only
example I can think of where a document is read aloud is in trial
proceedings.)

I want to take this opportunity to thank Mistress Rosalia for sharing
my "you can have your cake and eat it too" scheme:  doing a proper
legal document *plus* a separate illuminated manuscript page
commemorative.  (We're going to add a river running through the
minature.)  I hope to encourage more of this sort of thing in the
future.

--Serena

P.S.  Yeah, yeah, I know, most everyone's still going to want "hybrids"
(illuminated pages as "scrolls").  I can dream, can't I?