[Scriptoris] Sorta OT: Movie - Girl with a Pearl Earring

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 14 10:01:12 PDT 2004

--- Brent Ryder <borekvv at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
> Some time ago this movie was reccomended to me by Mistress Aslyn. It is a
> beautiful movie and looks very period to me, but I am not an expert there.
> What I kept seeing were scenes that could have been paintings themselves.
> Also, the attic scenes with all the materials and toold to make the paints
> was very kewl.
>
> Anyone have any insights into the 'period' nature of the sets and especially
> the attic scenes where all the apparati and such were? Might make for an
> interesting A&S display....
>
> Any other movie reccomendations out there in theis vein?
> Borek
> Lurking Scribbler

I found 'Girl with a Pearl Earring' a facinating movie, and really enjoyed the technical painting
aspects.  While I haven't checked, I'd suspect they probably had a technical advisor to make sure
it was setup somewhat historically correct, though it is still 'hollywood'.   You could compare
other paintings of the time period, that may have included still life's, of an artists attalier.

Another movie to check out would be the Italian 'Artemesia'.  It's been out several years, it's in
Italian with subtitles, but is beautifully made, and includes a lot of 'artist' tips. I have a VHS
copy if folks are interested in viewing it perhaps an evening at a 2-day King's College.

Hillary