[Scriptoris] girl with pearl earring

nweders@mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 14 10:32:15 PDT 2004

Girl with a pearl earring is actually set past our period, though I really
enjoyed it and I really enjoyed the whole concept.  The book is quite good
as well.

I do know that this fall PBS will be coming out with a miniseries about
Henry VIII which looks to be excellent.  I saw the fall previews for it and
it contains a stellar cast with excellent costuming and such.

If I can track it down there is a very good web site on Vermeer that
discusses the types of artwork he was known for and the fact that his work
was largely unappreciated until the 20th century.  It was mostly owned by
one individual.  Of course they are also finding hidden ones by him as well
as forgeries.  Dutch genre painting is good for finding details of work and
day to day things that won't have changed all that much from the 16th
century.  THe painting itself "Girl with a Pearl Earring" wasn't always
called that.... it was also called "Head of a Young Girl" or "Young girl
with Turban".

One thing I would like to say in defense of the Vermeer family that was
portrayed inaccurately in the movie.  Vermeer and his wife were quite close
and didn't have the difficulties that was pictured in it.  They were very
poor however, and he spent a considerable amount of time painting things to
suit his patron.  They do not know who sat for the portrait but there is a
style of painting exotics, that picture somewhat falls under but the name
escapes me off the top of my head..

I say that and it sounds like I didn't but I thought the movie was
extremely good and very lovely.

Regards,

Clare