[Scriptoris] paper for original works

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 2 14:24:57 PDT 2009

As you said, paper choices often depend on the artisan.

For quick, less expensive or less period work, I use the Strathmore 400 drawing paper for ink, it's 80lb smooth surface paper.   I don't prefer the stiffness of bristol board, tho many kingdoms recommend it for it's smooth surface.  Looking online at the Strathmore 400 series, I see there is also an Acrylic pad, at 246lb paper, as a textured linen surface, might be a good one to try out.

I have only recently played with Permanenata, I got the 80lb sheet from Jerry's-art-arama.  While the surface is similar to a 'real' vellum, it will also swell/pucker if you get it too wet.  Star Signet suggested I try the heavier weight Pergamenata (140lb) as it maybe less apt to have water issues.

Most projects, I prefer Fabriano Artistico, 140lb hot press; it's a company that was in existance during the 13-1400's and is still in business. It's a lovely paper, a full sheet runs under $6.00 and you get four sheets of 11x14 pages from that.

For truly historic work, you will want to use vellum or parchment, but be warned it can be costly.  Practice with it first to get a feel for it.

Cheers, Hillary