[Scriptoris] Fw: [SCA_S&I] Merrifield's Treatsies on the Art of Painting

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 10:49:54 PDT 2010

forwarded, Hillary

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: lady_typhainne <phyrehawke at yahoo.com>
To: SCA_Scribes_and_Illumination at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, October 28, 2010 11:41:42 AM
Subject: [SCA_S&I] Merrifield's Treatsies on the Art of Painting

It is available again!
http://store.doverpublications.com/0486404404.html

This book has been out of print for some time and a few years ago several of us
wrote Dover trying to get them to print more, but Dover said they didn't have
enough requests. While placing an order today I realized they have it back in
print, but from previous communication with them I know they only print about
200 copies at a time. Once they are out of print and out of copies the price can
get up in the hundreds IF you can find a copy.

This is a book of 5 late period (italian) craftsman manuscripts with the
original italian on the left and Merrifield's english translation on the right.
This is handy for researching "loosely translated" words. There are no pictures.
This is a reference book full of instructions and recipies for all sorts of
craftsmen, but in particular I used it to research the use of oak galls, and the
making of copperas/ferrous sulphate mordant used to make gall ink (and
shoeblack, and dyes for leather as well as cloth and thread). It also contains
information on the making of paints, glues, gessos, and how to prepare a variety
of surfaces for painting.
It is really an amazing reference book for all kinds of stuff.

Mistress Typhainne d'Alixandre (Caid)

Messages in this topic (1)

Recent Activity: 	* New Members 5
Visit Your Group