SR - naming - comets -Reply

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu Aug 20 13:50:41 PDT 1998

Jin Liu Ch'ang wrote:
> the English translation for the characters which are used for the
> name of China is Middle Kingdom, which makes the use of dragons
> by the SCA Middle Kingdom very interesting.

Quite deliberate.  The original arms of the Middle Kingdom had a
CHinese dragon in annulo (in a ring with head and tail
at the top almost touching).  It was changed to a standard
standing Western dragon a few years later: turns
out almost nobody could manage to draw (paint, embroider,
or otherwise depict) a Chinese dragon in anything
close to a decent way.  Mostly the dragons ended up too skinny
and with belly up.  I think they still have one old-style
banner left.  I saw it and thought "yep, a sucky depiction".

Honorable Daniel
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;
    if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work account.