SR - Naming the region

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Aug 19 22:00:54 PDT 1998

(Please let me re-emphasize the difference between
- period style
- SCA-registerable, the hard requirement
- my personal preferences, and a priori why should anyone care?
If I seem to blur the distinction, please let me know.)

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, maddie teller-kook wrote:
> but why should we do something that has been done over and over
> again in the SCA?

The SCA Ordinary (7th ed.) has 20 pages of cats out of 1100, about 1.8%.
(That's every coat of arms registered in the SCA that has a cat
anywhere on it.)

_Anglo-Norman Armory II_, the known English armorials from circa 1300,
has 67 pages with lions as primary charge out of 550, or 12.2%.
(That's only with lions in the center, but doesn't count lions off on
the side or on other things.)

The comparison above is somewhat apples-and-oranges.  But I can back
it up subjectively, having glanced at every Ansteorran submission for
the last 5 years.  In period terms, we are way *understocked* on
lions.  Those who have an interest in periodicity must obviously lobby
vigorously to use as many lions as possible!  "Semy of lions, on a
fess between six lions a lion passant, on a chief three lions each
charged on the shoulder with a lion"!

> Let's try and do something original and that which we can call our own.

I half-agree.  I want something that
- differs from SCA cliches.  A few examples:
  - no crossed swords
  - no "Lion's / Dragon's / Falcon's <body part>"
  - no "X haven"
  - no Scandinavian / Celtic / Anglish [sorry to harp on this last]
  - no fantasy-like names
- follows period cliches.  A few examples:
  - geometric charges on arms
  - lions on arms
  - personal name / surname + geographical feature
  - non-S/C/A

I want something that looks ordinary to a period person but that makes
most SCA people take note (and SCA heralds boggle or cheer).  For
example, several arms ideas on the web page fit that: one's practially
a crib from 13th C. Germany but it would shock an SCA herald to see
something that simple pass.  A few names fit it too (for example,
Campoleone is apparently period, yet see how few SCA branches have
Italian names).

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;