SR - Let's get this started right.

clward at mmm.com clward at mmm.com
Fri Feb 20 08:37:11 PST 1998

Now, in case the mailer eats the last part of this message, this comment is
from Gunnora!

Someone said:
>> I definitely like the idea of Raven's Fort coming along with us as well as
>> Shadowlands.

If Raven's Fort is included, you run the risk of having a principality that
cannot ever become a kingdom because it would bisect Ansteorra.

I've been travelling extensively in the West, and many people out there very
much favor the notion of a principality made up of the West and the I-35
corridor groups.  The I-35 corridor has the peers, the West has a stable
border, both things would help in creating a principality.

Let me insert a shameless plug here - everywhere I have gone in the West has
been fantastic.  They are so glad that someone from the rest of the kingdom has
bothered to come out there that they are treating those of us who do like
God-Emperor of the Universe when we arrive (kind of refreshing - treating a
peer as though they are worthy of respect!  They haven't got to the point where
they take peers for granted yet.)  Every Western event I have attended has been
very much like the Bjornsborg events I remember from ten and fifteen years
ago.  I have had a fantastic time without exception.

I strongly encourage all of you to try a Western event or two.  Mendersham is
an easy 3 hour drive north of Austin, and they are wonderful to those of us who
do make it out their way.

>> (I gotta say I rather winced when you talked about "rejecting"
>> groups. I think if a group in our region is interested in supporting a
>> principality, then welcome and well met; we'll need all the hands we're
>> offered.)

You also have to look at creating a viable unit.  If there is enough interest,
this kingdom could form more than one principality easily.  It may be that
there are some groups which would do better to go with a different
principality.  That's not rejection, just practicality.

The last round of principality discussions was hotly contested, and one reason
why is that the proposed principality lines were deliberately gerrymandered so
that none of the groups could eventually split off and form their own kingdom.
I don't think we'll see any Ansteorran principalities forming their own
kingdoms anytime soon, but I think you have to plan for the possibility and
avoid drawing the principality borders in such a way as to split Ansteorra.

>> I've also heard a few folk weighing the idea of inviting the
>> Western region to come along with us, and the more I think about it, that
>> doesn't sound like that would be too bad a deal for us, and it would be a
>> real boost for them

>I am one who is definitely for this. Although I think we should ask them
>if they *might* be interested, we shouldn't start seriously courting them
>until we have *our* act together. (Unless they are more ready to do it
>than we are.) Otherwise we have nothing to offer them and we look like a
>bunch of unprepared yokels and they'll not give us a second thought.

The West has been working towards becoming a principality for a while, but
htey've never had a stable base of peers (required by Corpora) needed to form a
principality.  Now, this begs the question of the people that they *do* have
who should really have long since been recognized as Pelicans, but if the West
unites with us here in the midsection of Ansteorra, then they have everything
needed to go for principality - numbers, peers, and most of all, desire