SR - Sunsteor, Land of Lions

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Feb 21 18:06:00 PST 1998

Salut, Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

>> 5. Whats the end game? Where do we want to be in 5 yrs? 10yrs?

and someone's (Sir Conor's?) reply:

>> I am not thinking that far ahead, but since I have no master plan for
>> a Kingdom, I do not see us as a seperate Kingdom in 5 or 10 years.

Don Eule opines:

>Historically, when a group decides to advance to Principality status, it
>is with the goal of becoming a Kingdom within 2-3 years (i.e. the
>Principality of Ansteorra lasted only a couple of years).  There are,
>however, exceptions (i.e. the Principality of the Sun has been around
>almost as long as I've been active in the SCA).

Forgive me, midon, but you are mistaken.  Ansteorra, like Meridies,
Calontir, and Drachenwald, all needed to split away from their kingdoms
because those kingdoms were huge and unwieldy.  This is not the only reason
for forming a principality, however.  Artemisia and Aethelmearc became
principalities because they wanted to add some pomp and ceremony to their
lives, not in order to become kingdoms.  Both remained principalties for
nearly a decade.  The Principalities of Cynagua, Oertha, the Mists, and
Lochac all achieved principality status before Aethelmearc or Artemisia.
While both Oertha and Lochac are likely to one day split off as separate
kingdoms (both are quite a ways from their kingdoms' centers), neither
Cynagua nor the Mists will likely *ever* appeal for kingdom status.  The
Principality of the Sun, incidentally, is no more; it was dissolved as
redundant when Artemisia became a separate kingdom.

>Curious....why do you "not see us as a separate Kingdom in 5 or 10
>years"?

I don't know about the individual you're querying, but I don't see it
because I like the kingdom we have.  Sir Conor, Sir Dieterich, and Mistress
Aquilanne (among others) have expressed the desire to form a Southern
Principality primarily for the sheer enjoyment of a new level of pomp and
ceremony.  I concur.  We don't want to break from Ansteorra; we want to
enrich her.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace