SR - New Traditions

Gary Koehler midnightk at htcomp.net
Wed Jul 15 22:53:16 PDT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Dewart <gilli at seacove.net>
To: southern at Ansteorra.ORG <southern at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998 12:25 AM
Subject: Re: SR - New Traditions

>We have requirements that those fighting in the Crown list must meet.  They
>must be a paid member.  They must have held a warrantable office for a
year.
>A member of the chivalry must speak for them if they are one themselves. (I
>think these are correct, it's been a*long* time since I fought in one)
>
>Why, in addition to these requirements, couldn't we add other *qualifiers*
>that must have been done during the previous reign such as, I don't know;
>must have entered an A & S comp, must have taken and passed a heraldry
test,
>fought in a light list, played in a chess tourny, etc.  Of course the list
>could be longer with possibly a 3 out of a list of 5 things  listed that
>must be done.
>
>These items would have no effect on the actual tourny which would be as
>normal.  However; to get to the tourny the other things would have been
>done.
>
>Gilli
>
>Shoot more arrows.The above editorial is NOT the official opinion of the
>Shire of Middleford, Southern Region, Ansteorra or any other organization.
>Dissatisfaction with the above material should be directed only to the
>author.
>
>Tivar Moondragon said
> (Snip)
>>That is correct. I was at the Board meeting when this policy was
instituted
>>(Governing & Policy Decision #5), and that was precisely their intent:
>>rapier combat was not to be used in Crown or Coronet tournaments.
>(Snip)

>greetings to all...
in this last comment by gilli it talks about being involved in a&s bardic
and things other than just heavy fighting...now i'm realitively new to the
lands of the SCA but isn't that some of the things that chivalry looks at
before they introduce a new knight?? it's always been  or seemed to be that
way  in what i've seen.. prowess on the field doesn't necessarily make a
good Knight being well rounded in a lot of other areas makes you truely
chivalrous.. and that i feel is what you would want in a king or a crown
prince...yes?? most of the current chivalry are involved in way more than
just fighting..yes?? i don't know maybe i'm just a bit dazed and confused
but if i am would someone let me know so i can ask for the proper guidence
from someone who does??
:-)
in service to the shire of tempio and the crown
lady annora von kohler ( corrected by husband on previous spelling :)  )