SR - On the word "Stick Jock" <long>

eric mauer eric.mauer-next at attws.com
Fri Jul 17 11:48:47 PDT 1998

Ahh, the joy of words...such small things, to have such power....

Sir Pendaran comments: Yes, I used the phrase to portray one type of
possible bad individual....

I think the heart of this conversation is the definition/use of the phrase
"stick jock", so I present the following:

Stick Jock  \'stik 'ja_k\ n
[SCA Slang]
1. A SCA Heavy fighter
2. A specific type of heavy fighter, one who
 a:does not participate in any other SCA activity, and/or
 b:doesn't care about period appearance on the field, and/or
 c:thinks fighting is the ONLY important SCA activity

Sir Lyonal comments (on possible causes for insult);
These warriors see themselves as re-creationists or martial
artists, and they want to see their endeavors taken
seriously.
<snip> Others...need to know that this not-too-comfortable
effort they're making is going to help them achieve more
than derision from their peers.

and adds;
*I* feel we should all be willing to accept a
*little* good-natured ribbing now and again, but serious study and training
do deserve a measure of respect.

To which I quite agree. The problem here is that the word
tends to be acceptable from WITHIN the group, but perceived
as insulting when received from without the group (much like
any other race or culture based insult). It's a hot button
for many fighters who fit the first definition, but strive
NEVER to fit the second.

Pug's intent (from his comment) was to use definition 1.
Most fighters will assume a combatant to be using definition
1, ("Alright, all you stick jocks, form a shield wall")
unless it's obvious ("That TuhTahl is such a stick jock, I
wish he'd cover up that plastic barrel armor").We assume,
however, that non combatants are using definition number 2,
and some of us are deeply insulted. Others, knowing the
occasional validity of that definition, are amused.

Those who don't care about such definitions are now annoyed
that I'm wasting their bandwidth...I'll hope they have a
sense of humor, too.

Alaric MacEwan
called TuhTahl of the Moritu