SR - Reqs, Duties, & Powers (long)

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu Jun 4 20:42:48 PDT 1998

Tim Lozos <dentim at myriad.net> wrote:
        a. Be paid members of the SCA inc.
        b. Have experience as an officer (preferably at the regional or
           Kingdom level)
        c. Ability to attend events and/or populace meetings to moderate
           Principality discussion.
        d. Ability to deal fairly, neutrally, and honorably with all sides.
        e. Must live in the area under discussion for inclusion in the
           Principality
        f. Email and Internet access is preferred.

I have disagreements with this list.

They should be desiderata (desired things) rather than
requirements.

Reason A: I've hardly ever seen a problem in the SCA of
having too many volunteers and having to find a way to weed
them out.  We don't want to narrow the pool down too much.

Reason B: I can imagine worthy and useful people lacking any
one of those items, and maybe more.  For example, a fast and
accurate recording secretary is worth their weight in
silver; I'd gladly chuck items a, b, e, and f for such a
one.  In general, lacking in some can just be compensated by
extra value in others.

For e.: what if there's still debate about the borders --
are people in the debatable lands ineligible?  Should the
kingdom seneschal be an ex officio member (sounds good to
me), and if so, what if the KS of the day happens to live
outside?

For me, c. and d. are problem items.  (Note: I am not
volunteering to be on anything but a heraldry committee.)

c.: I Don't Get Out Much is almost a motto with me.  I think
I make up for it in electronic presence, though.  Besides,
for heraldry, some of it is going to be sitting down with
some books, and that can be done more easily off-line and
alone.

d.: What does "impartial" mean?  To paraphrase Churchill, "I
refuse to be impartial between the fire brigade and the
fire".  I have preferences rooted in the SCA -- to wit, that
period practice is A Good Thing and the closer to period
practice the better.  I have my personal preferences -- to
wit, that Scandinavian and Celtic names are overdone in the
SCA; can I find sir something nice in Italian, and we have a
special on German today?  (To judge by the SCA, Dublin was
bigger than modern New York, and The City on the Bosporus
was a cow town (pun intended).)  I want to cheerlead.

I do NOT advocate misfeasance or malfeasance -- "oopsie, I
misplaced that suggestion!"  "Now that I see the votes, I
want the cutoff to be between #3 and #4 -- so the Mystycke
Unycorne Keep gets dropped."  If elected, I ... ahem.  For
example, I would list suggested names in alphabetical order,
I think.  (Could I list arms in order of increasing
complexity?)

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;