SR - Describing Our Region

Rollie W. Reid carcassonnais at geocities.com
Thu Sep 17 22:17:54 PDT 1998

Lionardo said,					Conor says

> Heartland in French = centre		Central(as in Massif Central)
> Heart Land in French = terre de coeur	Pays de Coeur
> -	French = du sud terre			Pays du Sud

plus,

French = du sud pays				Turn it around
French = pays de colline			Pays des Collines(unless there is a single
hill)
French = se`ches terres				Pays seche(sounds wrong)
French = arides terres				Pays arid(close to Pays Arabes - Land of the
Arabs)

In French, "terre"  means earth, as in ground.  It means land as in
acreage.

"Pays" is a better word.

The land of your birth is "pays natal."  Pays can signify country, as
in nation, but it can also mean land in a smaller sense.  Countryside
is "paysage."

Pays de coeur, would be a better translation of Heartland.

Pays du Sud - South Land

The southern part of France is called Le Midi, a beautiful area around
Carcassonne and Toulouse.

I would love to do a French name, but only if we get it right.

Conor

lucetis sicut luminaria in mundo