SR - 2nd time around

Jodi McMaster jmcmaste at accd.edu
Tue Sep 21 18:09:14 PDT 1999

Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:

> I believe *strongly* that the first-try ballots should *not* be sent
> out verbatim for the second round.

Especially given the confusion that arose regarding the outcome.  It
should be clearly stated on the ballot.  If my experiences with testing
college students is borne otu, some folks will still overlook it but
then there is no doubt that an attempt was made to explain it to them.
Something to the effect of "This ballot will be used for further action
by the Regional Seneschal in petitioning the Crown to register potential
names for the Southern Region. The top X names will be sent to the CoA
and Laurel for registration."

>I believe that the ballots should
> have some way to vote against even the concept of a name.  Making it
> some sort of write-in is, indeed, unfair to the idea -- some people
> will not get to hear about it, and people will express it in different
> ways, and it looks unofficial.

And it gives the impression that voting against the concept of a name is
not an option.  I like the idea of having both an "I don't want to name
the region" option and a "I want to name it but don't like any of the
choices" option.  If a substantial number of the members of the Southern
region fit into one of these two categories, that's important to know in
taking any further action.

AElfwyn