[Spit-project] New member to the list

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 13 08:49:18 PDT 2007

>Currently me and my
>Lady-wife are still trying to learn how to use the 2 Dutch ovens that we
>have.   Yes I know they are not period, but we are still trying to learn
>new
>ways of cooking over an open ground fire.

Maybe I should change this to Medieval Outdoor Cooking.
Personally I don't care if you use Dutch Ovens. It's a start.
Pretty much all of us are starting and learning. I just resigned from
a list whose attitude was "if you don't do it period it aint worth
doing". I think there are steps you can make between being
modern and being totally period. You learn to cook in Dutch Ovens
and then go to potjies and then to clay cookery. You start on
your Coleman stove and then get a grill and work on that. From
there you develop the skills to go further. Don't apologize for
using dutch ovens. That's a major step from McDonald's.

This list is to encourage people to cook over fire and show the
fun that can be had in doing it period. But I will not condemn
anyone from taking a first step.

I have a feeling we are all going to be making baby steps here
and sharing our screwups as well as our successes. Lord knows
I'm not sure how I'm going to do in that King's College class,
but I'm willing to give it a try and if it is a disaster I want the
students (and me) to learn from it just as much as if everything
goes perfect.

>I remember helping tend those fires and turning the spit that was
>cooking some of the large pieces of meat you were cooking. (At times I
>thought you had access to whole sides of water buffalo. They seemed that
>big).

Yeah. All of my memories of Regina's camp involve visions of some
HUGE piece of meat cooking. I think I may be a little more delicate
in my approach.  :-D

>I do want to take a moment here and say to our moderator, Sir Guther thanks
>for starting this list, I know that me and my Lady will learn lots of new
>things.

I'm hoping this may actually grow past just being coordination in
getting these spits made.

That would be keen!

>Agnarr

Gunthar