[Spit-project] Over fire cookery

Charles Netterville ck_netterville at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 17:55:30 PDT 2007

When we were in the Boy Scouts many moons ago, we'd catch fish, clean and season them, take the dirt we'd dug from the firepits and make our own "wrappers" for the fish. We'd then put the whole thing in the coals, come back an hour later and dig them out. When the clay was broken apart, the skin would stick to it and we could then eat the meat from the middle. As I remember, it was very good and we never took any special precautions. Most bacteria and creepy crawlies can be killed in temps of 160 or less so I'm guessing that by the time the meat in the middle is cooked, the clay surrounding it is sterile. My dad still goes to church with my old scout master so I'll ask the next time I see him if there is anything pertainant that I'm choosing not to remember.

gail young <gwynethb63 at yahoo.com> wrote:  My clay is food safe glazed or not, but you're going to have to teach me this food wrapped in clay thing...clay is dirt, you realize that right?LOL....