[Spit-project] Spit materials

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 18 13:50:44 PDT 2007

>Most pieces stay
>rust free especially the ones used the most. I have a box for the utensils
>and small pieces. I've made heavy duty bags to carry the rest but they seem
>not to be used all the time. I also have pieces that were never cured and I
>just clean them and put over a fire to clean the rust then oil them down
>and
>repeat the process until they are clean and rust free.
>Regina

First off, thank you Phlip for the introduction to wrought iron. See, this
isn't my area and I have no idea about this stuff. I really enjoy having
folk like you on to teach us all. This is what I'd love this list to become.

And, yeah, one of my questions was about what material to use
because I really don't want to have to take care of it all the time
and have to store it all in the garage. I would like to prevent even
the surface layer oxidation as Phlip mentioned because I don't like the
look of rusty equipment and I also don't want the rust to get all over
everything.

Of course I'd have to talk to whoever will build this for me to see
what materials would be used and how it would be treated.

At the risk of sounding blasphemous, would some kind of paint
work? Like Rustoleum? It would have to be able to stand up to the
heat of a cooking fire, of course.

I see Pug's rig was made by Master Eisen here in Dallas. Is he
still around? I haven't seen him in years. Anyone have an idea on
what the cost of this setup would be?

Thanks for showing up, everyone.

Gunthar