[Spit-project] Spit height and stuff

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 13 18:54:51 PDT 2007

> One thing I did learn is that my spit crossbar is a little
> low for spinning chickens. The string was only about six
> inches so it required nearly constant turning.
>
> So that is one point for a higher spit.

Gunthar, I'm slowly wading through the backlog, so if you and the others
would pardon me if someone else has already brought this up:
I have seen spit racks with multiple crossbars before -- possible
solution?

I'm envisioning the additional crossbar placed on the opposite side of
the uprights from the "primary" / lower bar, providing clearance from
the strings / spinning provender.

In an alternate format, imagine a giant U-shape or use of a "caprod":
running between the tops of the uprights, this (usually) improves
stability and would provide fastening points for all manner of strings /
chains / etc.

I've also seen variations on this with the opposite sides as upright A-
or H- frames, with spits somewhat shorter than the space between the
uprights turning in loops (even enlarged links) of chain suspended from
the top crosspiece. Running chains from the corners of a gridiron to the
legs instead of over the top cross-piece can allow for options in
adjusting or even removing the grid from the heatbed.  For portability /
cost control, add appropriate joints, slip-fittings, pegs or pins, etc.
The legs of these engineered A- / H- ends can be simply cut from lumber
(trading bulk for economy).  Even the top piece could be wood with metal
boxcover sleeves for slipjointing (think old GP ridge poles that could
be taken apart for transport, with the overlapping triangles surrounded
by a box -- or later an engineered "cage")

I'm trying to remember Regina's old set-up -- I think in one version she
may have used short A-frames?  Your Excellency?

I'll catch up on the previous traffic soon.  It's a promise to myself!

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MCBaker216 at cs.com
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen